View related topics

What Are My Visitation Rights As A Grandparent?

The relationship between a child and his or her grandparents is almost always a great source of joy for all concerned. Unfortunately, the death of a parent, a drastic change in family circumstances, or a divorce can leave many grandparents on the outside looking in, when it comes to maintaining their grandparent-grandchild relationships.

Our firm, The Law Office of Martha J. Olson & Associates, uses decades of experience in California family law to help grandparents who for many different reasons, are threatened with the loss of these important relationships. If you or your grandchild live in the San Jose and Santa Clara County region and you want to maintain your grandparenting time, our lawyers can help.

What Are The Limits To Grandparent Visitation?

In addition to its application in child custody and visitation cases, the "best interest of the child" standard may also be applied to cases involving grandparents' rights. If your attorney can demonstrate the value of the relationship you have with your grandchild, it is likely that a judge will grant some amount of visitation time. Obtaining such a court order is the only way to ensure your rights are protected.

However, if there was never a legal marriage involved and your son or daughter is the noncustodial parent — your rights are not automatic and the process for asserting them becomes much more difficult.

Parents Sometimes Face Difficult Issues Involving Grandparent Rights

Grandparents' rights do not supersede a parent's right. The grandparents are an important part of children's lives and should be involved. But when a child is dividing their time between a father and mother, grandparents' rights should not conflict with those of a parent's.

Serving Clients In San Jose As Grandparents Rights Lawyers Since 1983

Whether your issues began with a divorce, the death of your son or daughter or as a result of your child being stationed overseas, contact our highly experienced firm for help. Reach The Law Office of Martha J. Olson & Associates at 408-703-1124 or through our online contact form. In some cases, it may be necessary to establish paternity.

We offer a free half-hour initial consultation.