View related topics

What Does The Court Consider In Parental Relocation Issues?

Job opportunities, relationships, education, health conditions — people move for all kinds of reasons and in most cases, it is completely within their rights to do so. However, different rules apply to the divorced parents of children.

The Law Office of Martha J. Olson & Associates fights to protect the rights of custodial parents trying to relocate. We also represent individuals challenging parental relocation as the noncustodial parent. In either case, our San Jose parental relocation lawyers can help you to understand all of your legal options. Whenever possible, we will try to see if you and your former spouse can resolve these issues outside of court.

As a firm, we represent clients in Santa Clara County facing parental relocation issues involving:

  • Interstate child custody
  • Long distance visitation/parenting time
  • Parental relocation within California

No matter which side of the parental relocation fence you are on, it is important to begin preparing your case and asserting your rights in child custody at the earliest possible time.

Among the major factors that courts consider in deciding these cases are:

  • The reasons for the custodial parent's move.
  • The ages of the children.
  • The likelihood that relocation will be harmful to the relationship between the noncustodial parent and the children in question.
  • For these reasons, a proposed move from Santa Clara to Palo Alto will probably gain court approval more easily than a move to Los Angeles would. However, the sooner you begin working with an attorney to validate or challenge relocation, the better your chances for success will be.

We Offer A Free Half-Hour Consultation. Contact Us Today.

To learn more about California's child move-away law and how The Law Office of Martha J. Olson & Associates can help protect your rights, contact us at our San Jose, California, law offices to schedule a free half hour initial consultation. Call 408-703-1124 or send us an email.